Sunday, April 12, 2009

Reading Response 14

Small-Scale Classification Schemes

The whole idea of small-scale classification schemes was very interesting to me once I started to relate it to video gaming. If I'm understanding it correctly, in a game like World of Warcraft, if items are categorized by Uncommon, Rare, Epic, Legendary, is that one form of a classification scheme? Slots on a character are Helm, Shoulder, Chest, Wrist, Hands, Leggings, Belt. When broken down there are some many different classifications that become so commonplace when playing the game you don't realize how they have helped organize the game in a fashion that keeps it very easy to understand. Also, although there are numerous races for players to choose from they have to pick a "class" for their character (shaman, mage, warrior, etc).

These small-scale classification schemes seem to pop up more often now that I've studied them and how they relate to my everyday life. When I relate Warcraft to a small-scale classification scheme am I right in that assumption? Is there more involved that I'm not considering. Obviously different examples of a classification scheme include ontologies, a thesaurus, and taxonomys among others, but does the example I gave detailing equipment slots, player classes, and item levels equate to a small-scale classification scheme?

No comments:

Post a Comment